Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Mimi: Is it a sweater, a blanket a poncho or a scarf?

For me, the answer is that it is whatever you want it to be. My best friend thinks I look like I am wearing a macrame potted plant hanger. And she's probably laughing RIGHT NOW reading this article.

I actually did a lot of research on this since it is just so darn different than anything that Lularoe makes, but if you are on the fence, haven't seen one in person, or just want some good reading material, get a fresh cup of coffee and sit back! I did a little blogging reconnaissance when these beautiful items first came out last summer and made a run out to check out the newest addition to the Lularoe lineup at a local consultant's house. I wanted to do some research, see these fabulous pieces up close and personal, and take pictures to share with you all, since there is a lot of buzz going around the Lulaworld about these fabulous pieces. (And yeah, I admit, I bought one. And since then? Three more.)


Here is the nitty gritty...the Mimi is essentially a large shawl that is sold as one long piece, but with buttons on one side that allow you to fasten it in front or to the side of you as a poncho. You can also wear it as a wrap, a scarf, or a blanket-style wrap on cold nights. The way that I have modeled it in these pictures is to wear it poncho-style with the blue one buttoned to the side (over a Julia) and the black and gray one buttoned in front (over a Carly and leggings). I can't see myself wearing it unbuttoned personally because I could totally see it slipping off of me and falling on the ground and getting stained or something. I'm just that clumsy, which is why I have to take extra-special care of my Lularoe!

The Mimis are designed, plotted, cut and knitted to their own specifications. Each one is made individually and knitted by a machine, and then finished off and tasseled by hand. This is the reason why this is the most expensive piece hands-down right now in the Lularoe collection. A piece like this is called "Full Fashion Knitting". Yeah, right, I don't know what that means either. So I looked it up!

According to Wikipedia,  "Fully fashioned knitting machines are those flat and circular knitting machines that produce custom pre-shaped pieces of a knitted garment. Instead of knitting a whole rectangular sheet of fabric, instructions from a knit pattern on a punch card or computer file guide a fully fashioned knitting machine's needles to add or drop stitches to create custom two-dimensional shapes appropriate to the desired finished garment structure. The pieces emerge from the machine ready to be sewn together." Now in the case of the Mimi, there are no pieces that are being sewn together, but the point is that the machine makes each Mimi individually, which is why they are so expensive! As we all know, Lularoe's bedrock principle is that they make a print or a color in a fabric, they cut it into the various styles, sew them together and then distribute them for sale, but in the case of the Mimi, these are a little more special because there is no fabric anywhere in the piece. They are 100% yarn in the piece and the tassels and finishing are made with some sort of thread from what I could tell. 

From what I can tell, there are three main "styles" of the Mimi:

1) The first style, featured in purple and blue, is a combination of a shaker-style stitch with bands of honeycomb mesh stitches in a staggered eyelet design. 


2) The second style, featured individually in black and cream, is a honeycomb mesh stitch in a staggered eyelet design for a more traditional crocheted look.


3) The third style is a tight zig-zag rib knitted stitch pattern, featured in slate blue.


Don't be impressed that I knew those stitch names. I had to look them up on Pinterest while quietly cursing myself for not letting my late grandma teach me how to knit or crochet. She, by the way, was also nicknamed MIMI. 

It also appears from what I have seen online so far with Mimi, there are four main "color variations" as well:

1) The first style is a blend of two colors of yarn that combine together to appear as one color when actually when examined up close are two. For example, the plum one that is modeled is actually a combination of purple and blue. That's the only one I have seen in that way.
2) The second style is a solid yarn in one color. I have seen this style so far in black, gray and white. 
3) The third style is almost a combination of striped and heathered, which is what I am wearing in the blue. I have seen this in also in olive, green, gray and black.
4) The fourth style is a solid color but with partial stripes of a contrasting color coming in from the sides, which is what I am wearing in black and gray. I've also seen this in blue and gold, green and white, white and black, pumpkin and cream, olive and brown, and white and gray.

So now, on to what I thought of the Mimi itself:

The first reaction I had after laying a hand on one was how incredibly soft and light it felt compared to what I had expected. I don't know why, but I had honestly expected it to feel like wool. You know, scratchy? Itchy? Hot? Not something you want to wear? But it wasn't like that at all. It was incredibly soft and luxurious. The knitted fabric stretches gently so that it truly is one size fits all, and because there are no sleeves or a waist, you just wrap it around your shoulders and button it up and go. Or, leave it buttoned and then slide it over your head like a pull over. Then you can adjust it to have the buttons to the side (as I did with the blue) or leave them in front to create a more cardigan-feel (as I did with the black). Another way to wear it is to stylishly arrange it around you so it drapes at an angle. 

Another concern I had with the Mimi was that I won't be able to wear it very often since I live in Texas. That was a concern that I had back in August when it was triple digits. Now, in January, I am very glad that I bought them as they are wonderful to wear, very stylish, and very cozy. The knitted fabric is very flexible and thin but not so thin that you are cold. However, I did hear from another consultant in New York who was not impressed with the Mimi at all because she feels that it will be too thin to provide any warmth for the chilly Northeastern winters. I have a feeling that the consultants in Florida probably will like theirs but won't keep them since Florida hardly ever gets cold. I have worn my Mimi when it is fifty degrees (perfect), thirty degrees (perfect but I could have used a little more warmth) and nine degrees with wind chill (completely insufficient).  

The tassels, as intended, are purely decorative to add some flair to the shawl and not just make it look like a rectangular piece of knitted fabric. The buttons are in complimentary colors to the yard and fasten the Mimi on securely but not so much that they are hard to unbutton. 

So the question is, are you buying one because you truly intend to wear it, or are you buying one because it's the hottest flashiest thing right now? Ask yourself that before you buy one, because not everyone likes them. My husband was not too crazy about them. Mr. Fashionista, upon seeing the pictures of the Mimi when it was first released last summer, asked where my sombrero and burro was. Ha. Do you live in a climate where it would be worth it? Do you live in a climate where it won't provide you with any warmth? Does it go with your clothes that you wear? Is it really you? It's $75 retail, ladies...ask yourselves if you really want it or you just want it because everyone wants it? It's so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind...kind of like Tickle Me Elmo. 

For myself, I decided when I first saw them that I really wanted one because I have shirts that are this style that I really enjoy wearing. Texas does get cold when the storms blow down from Oklahoma, and as it stands right now, my warmest dressiest "jacket" is the Sarah since I donated my old out-of-date leather jacket. I also think that these look really nice and stylish with skirts and dresses and jeans. I think they have the capability to be styled in a lot of different ways and to be genuinely enjoyed....if you truly want to spend the money to do that. If you do, they are definitely worth it. There are items like this on the market right now that on the cheap retail for about $29 from Target and on the pricey retail for about $208 at Nordstrom's. And I really wanted the ones from Lularoe because of the colors. I decided on two in the color combinations that I would wear the most: black and blue.  The ones featured are the ones I will own and wear for years to come. Since the first release I bought another one that is solid black with white threads and a gray one, and I am thinking about a green. 

So for me, I guess I did get sucked into the Tickle Me Elmo whirlwind. I don't even know whether or not I should hang these things up or just fold them. Right now, they are all sitting folded in my office until I figure out a storage method. I throw them on my desk at work because my coat hook stretches them out. 

But I really like them. Do you? Have you tried one on? I am tall and these hit right at the right place on my hips and my arms. Do they hit right on you, or are they too heavy? Only you can say! I personally love mine and I wish that I could have one in purple and one in blue-green. But I don't like the fabric in the purple and the blue-green doesn't exist. 

Okay, fine. I admit it. I love them. They are so darn cozy and I can wear whatever I want and it will layer over everything. Look at this. What can layer over leggings, a Nicole dress, a Joy and a Sarah and still look normal? 

The minimum advertised price (MAP) set by Lularoe for the Mimi scarf is $75.00. 

If there are any questions about the Mimi scarf, please post them below. Make it a great Lularoe day!

1 comment:

  1. How much does the honey comb mesh one weigh? Im trying to send one ☺

    ReplyDelete