Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Lindsay cardigan...the perfect layer like icing on the cake

The Lindsay kimono was actually my second piece of Lularoe that I acquired. I was gifted a plain black knit one as a thank you for helping a consultant photograph and stage her initial on-boarding inventory. I remember at the time thinking that it was kind of a strange piece and that I wasn't sure if it would look right on me, but out of all of the Lindsays that I have acquired since that initial piece, the solid black one is the one that I have worn the most. 

Out of the entire Lularoe lineup, the Lindsay cardigan baffles me the most. Not the piece itself...but why it is not more popular. Why this piece does not sell out as soon as it comes in, I don't get. I admit that I have eclectic tastes, but this piece is the easiest way to dress up a pair of leggings and a t-shirt or to throw over a dress when you are cold or just to accessorize with a put-together outfit to bring out a color to the forefront. Below I have demonstrated how you can take a t-shirt and leggings to the next dressy level just by adding a complimentary Lindsay to pull it all together. 



The construction of this piece is simple. It is like a cardigan in that it is put on like a very light, thin sweater, but there are no zippers or buttons. The sleeves are elbow-length and have a large droop at the bottom, similar to a kimono on a geisha. See the similarity? There is just enough exposure to let the lower part of your forearm show, but enough coverage to cover your upper arms and keep the chill off. They are well-made with seams at the top of the shoulders

The Lindsay cardigan, which is kimono-style, really should be in everyone's Lula wardrobe even if JUST in black or gray. For me, it is my go-to piece to grab when there is a chill in the air and I just want something to cover my arms, or if I just want to dress up something casual, or if I want to accessorize a dress and bring a color out of it to the forefront. It is a wonderful accessory piece to wear over Classics, Perfects, Irmas, and all of the Lularoe dresses. 

If you have any dresses that are strapless or sleeveless that you want to wear to work but have a no-bare-shoulders rule like my office does, the Lindsay is the perfect solution. They are light and thin enough to wear all day long in the office and come in a variety of fabric styles such as knit, lace, chiffon and brocade. For the colder climates, they are thin and cool enough to layer under heavier winter coats and for the warmer climates, they are warm enough just to take the chill off as the arms are about three-quarter length. As an example, look at how I am wearing my Maxi dress. I am wearing it as a skirt with a Classic tee and a turquoise topped with a turquoise jacquard Lindsay. Lose the shirt, pull up the Maxi, and now it's a strapless dress with a midcalf length but still work-appropriate because of the Lindsay. 


For sizing, you can see that the Lindsay runs large. No question. I am a full 2X full-figured woman. I have long arms, so long that I need an XL in the Sarah cardigan just for that reason. I am 5'7. I have a 38D bust. Yet, I can wear the Lindsay in the small, medium OR large. I prefer the large because the arms are a little longer and more generous, but if I find a Lindsay cardigan in a color that I like and it is only available in medium, I don't have an issue wearing it as there is a very negligible difference. I have plenty of room in my Lindsay in the back, shoulders, arms and midsection, and the back is almost Irma-length which is perfect for me. The main difference in the sizes is the length; the smaller the size, the shorter in the back. Featured below is a small in gray, medium in green and large in peach.

What I find interesting about the Lindsay from critics is that lace is not a preferred fabric and that girls with narrow shoulders find that they dwarf them. I find it interesting, but I understand why. Lace as a general rule is not thought of as a jacket-type material, which is why I consider my lace Lindsays to be more of accessories than actual jackets for warmth. I think if your thinking adjusts to that frame of mind, that these are layering accessories more than actual jackets or sweaters, you will find that these are more versatile than you think. 

As for the dwarfing, well....you can't change your body's frame, but you can change the way you wear the Lindsay. I have seen Lindsays knotted in the front to bring the bottom up. I have seen Lindsays gathered in the back to pull the the sides back and almost convert it into a shrug. I'm sure that there are other things that can be done with this kimono-style wrap that I haven't even thought of yet. 

One thing for sure is that if you think you might want to have one, even just to keep at the office for those chilly days, give it a try. It's a very warm and soft piece of clothing, there are lots of styling possibilities, and you can buy one as basic and non-frilly as you want or as dressy and lace and feminine as you want. There are lots of jacquard-style Lindsays that are incredibly dressy and can make the most casual of outfits look fancy and dressed up. 

The minimum advertised price (MAP) set by Lularoe for the Lindsay cardigan is $48.00.

If there are any questions about the Lindsay, please post them below. Make it a great Lularoe day!

No comments:

Post a Comment